Health Insurance

I live in Mississippi. I work at a hospital that offer health insurance. I am terrified to apply for it due to the fact that my status may be disclose my question is 1. Can the health insurance company disclose my status to my employer? 2, Will my son who is poz be covered?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Under federal law a group health plan can NOT refuse coverage to any eligible applicant due to a health condition. Unless your hospital's health plan is self-funded, the insurance company is prohibited from disclosing any medical information to the employer. If your employer is large enough to be self-funded, to avoid any legal problems, they typically make sure they do not have any access to employee's medical information. Your HIV positive son will also be covered. Depending on the health plan and any prior coverage your son had, he may have to wait up to six months before charges related to HIV are covered by the plan.

Short Term Disability and Insurance Disclosure
New company DEMANDING health insurance questionnaire