1099 Contractor and Health Insurance

Hi There

I currently work for a company with health benefits (an EPO plan with Blue Shield.) I've been casually looking for a new job and was offered a great position that is a perfect fit but it would be as a 1099 contractor with no health benefits. I'm HIV positive, healthy with an undetectable viral load and on Atripla. The pay is a substantial amount more than what I'm making now (almost double my current salary) but would put me over the California (I'm based in Los Angeles) ADAP salary requirements for my prescription medication. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons and wondering what my options would be insurance-wise as I've heard it's difficult to find individual insurance on my own. Should I just stay put where I am now and keep looking for something else?

Any guidance would be extremely appreciated! Thanks!

Response from Mr. Chambers

That is a tough choice. If you are eligible for COBRA or CalCOBRA in California, you can continue coverage and then purchase a guaranteed health insurance policy under HIPAA, as long as you buy it within 63 days of your COBRA expiring. You should do some calculating to make sure the amount you will have to pay for your medications after the insurance pays won't wipe out any savings you would have had with ADAP in place. Depending on your relationship with the employer, you may be able to negotiate joining their health plan with you paying the premiums; many plans will allow full-time 1099 employees to be covered.

Can I get health insurance after my COBRA expires?
Short Term Disability and Insurance Disclosure