Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Moving back to the States - how quickly can I get on medication coverage?
Jan 11, 2012

Hello - thanks for your time with all of us...

I have been living in France for the last 4 years, which is where I first contracted HIV and have been - since January of this year - covered by the amazing social security here.

I am planning a trip back to the States, and will be working temporarily through the spring. France only allows a maximum of 3 months' medication to be given in advance, which means that I will need to get covered once I am there. I will be in CT - am I going to have to worry about pre-existing condition clauses, etc? Or have those been done away with? I've kept an insurance in the States, but from WA and it was only for major insurance issues, so probably wouldn't cover the meds that I will need when I arrive in the States.

I know it sounds complicated, this is why I'm writing - what would you suggest I do? What are the steps I need to go through to get coverage?

Thank you!

Response from Mr. Chambers

If your income is less that 400% of the federal poverty level (about $43,000 annually for a single household) your quickest source of HIV medication would be Connecticut's AIDS Drug Assistance Program.

In addition you would be eligible for group coverage if you become employed. Coverage under another country's public health plan is considered "Creditable Coverage" so no pre-existing limits can be imposed under federal law if your new coverage starts within 63 days(excluding any probationary waiting periods), of losing your prior coverage, but in Connecticut, the time is extended to 120 days.

Previous
what are possible problems a worker with HIV/AIDS would encounter
Next
Can I get health insurance after my COBRA expires?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.