The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Getting meds when traveling
May 1, 2001

I am on ADAP that is supplemented by my health insurance right now, and they will only cover enough meds to last for 2 weeks, however I will be traveling to Europe in the summer, and I am having huge problems finding anyone willing to help me find a way to get my meds. It is not even possible to send them to most countries, because of special laws (which are different in each country), and my pharmacy won't give them all to me in advance because ADAP won't pay for them that way. I have no idea what to do, and I am running out of time to work this out. Thanks.

Response from Ms. Donnelly

Your problem requires an individual response. It will depend on how long you will be traveling, what countries you are visiting, and what the laws are regarding bringing medications into the country.

Depending on where you live, your state ADAP coordinator may be able to help you get a better supply of medication. It is important that you go to the state coordinator with your request. Under some circumstances, and ADAPs vary state to state, the coordinator may be able to work with you to get a supply that will last through your trip.

Usually, there is some way to ensure continuity of access to your treatments when you are traveling. If your state ADAP coordinator is not able to help you, call the Project Inform toll-free hotline at 1-800-822-7422 and ask for the access project coordinator. He may be able to assist you with identifying some additional options.

ADAP benefits by state
Medicare and prescrition drugs

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint