social securty disability

I was diagnosed positive in 1986 and recently asked for benefits. Although I have enough 'quarters' SS says I waited too long to apply. They said the monies I paid all these years will stay with the fund after I die.Is this correct? I also wonder if this can be handled over the phone with them instead of in person.

Response from Mr. Berg

I'm not the public benefits expert, but my understanding is that with Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) not only do you need to meet the required number of paid quarters, but that you also need recent FICA tax pay in for 5 out of the last 10 years (less if under age 31) to qualify. You could apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) provided your assets are $2000 or less. Please check with your local office as to how much can be completed over the phone. It can differ from state to state and office to office given program guidelines.

Lump sum payments and medicaid
Life Insurance for HIV+ person