Great (small) company, how can I work there?

My company recently instituted a massive cut in my department's commision structure, requiring me to seek employment elsewhere or face financial catastrophe. I've been granted a second interview with a company that looks amazing, but only has about 20 employees. I would sincerely like to work for this company if they choose to hire me, but understand that their size coupled with the nuances of the American healthcare system would make me both a burden, and an immediate target. Obviously, joining their group plan is not an option. I've explored my state's "high risk" insurance pool and found the price and coverage to be very reasonable. Sadly, I must be both denied coverage from an existing private insurer, and without insurance for a minimum of six months to qualify for this plan. I could begin applying for private insurance plans now, but worry that I might be offered coverage at an astronomical premium. Is there a recourse if this happens? Assuming the more likely outcome, that I am denied coverage, are there any programs available to help me bridge the six month gap between leaving my current employer and joining the "high risk" pool? Please don't inform me that my employer won't be able to figure out which of their 20 employees is taking medication for HIV, or that this type of action is illegal. I understand and accept that my date of hire and sexual orientation will leave little room for ambiguity in this issue. Thank you so much for your time and attention.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I would suggest that you enroll in the new employer's plan. if you really feel that you cannot do that, you could take COBRA from your current employer. When that runs out, you could apply for individual coverage.

work insurance
can my insurance keep refusing to cover my meds