"occupational HIV"????what the...??

That you first of all for all you do! My employer is offering some new benefits to us as employees. One of which is called Critical Illness insurance. We are in a period whereby if you sign up you cannot be denied coverage even if you have a preexisting condition. There is a long list of illnesses that that would be covered such as cancer heart attack stroke etc. and listed is "occupational HIV". This is a hospital and it is reasonable foe someone to contract HIV in the workplace obviously via needlesticks and other exposures. My question isxthis though.. I have a preexisting condition....HIV... Now they specifically say occupational... Therefore specifically pointing to HIV acquired on the job which is again understandable However does this not reek of discrimination? I mean an employee would acquire cancer say not on the job? Nor would you have a stroke as a result of your job. In the same way, employees with HIV ..well have HIV whether it was acquired on the job or not just like any other critical illness. I was really mad at this as it seems folk who have HIV are being discriminated against well of course unless you get it via a needlestick? Would this sort of splitting hairs stand up in a court in regards to this policy?if I sign up for this insurance which now in the enrollment period has no health questions or exams to take, and come down with diabetes the very next day ..I am covered but not for HIV unless you poor employee got stuck with a needle? Please share your thoughts and legalities ..and thanks again!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I agree that covering only occupational HIV seems discriminatory. Contact the insure directly (and anonymously) to find out more specifics on the coverage. Possibly they were just using this as a example and all HIV-related critical illnesses would have coverage.

Can someone with HIV be a massage therapist in TN
LTD Terminated, How To Appeal