Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

"occupational HIV"????what the...??
May 16, 2011

That you first of all for all you do! My employer is offering some new benefits to us as employees. One of which is called Critical Illness insurance. We are in a period whereby if you sign up you cannot be denied coverage even if you have a preexisting condition. There is a long list of illnesses that that would be covered such as cancer heart attack stroke etc. and listed is "occupational HIV". This is a hospital and it is reasonable foe someone to contract HIV in the workplace obviously via needlesticks and other exposures. My question isxthis though.. I have a preexisting condition....HIV... Now they specifically say occupational... Therefore specifically pointing to HIV acquired on the job which is again understandable However does this not reek of discrimination? I mean an employee would acquire cancer say not on the job? Nor would you have a stroke as a result of your job. In the same way, employees with HIV ..well have HIV whether it was acquired on the job or not just like any other critical illness. I was really mad at this as it seems folk who have HIV are being discriminated against well of course unless you get it via a needlestick? Would this sort of splitting hairs stand up in a court in regards to this policy?if I sign up for this insurance which now in the enrollment period has no health questions or exams to take, and come down with diabetes the very next day ..I am covered but not for HIV unless you poor employee got stuck with a needle? Please share your thoughts and legalities ..and thanks again!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I agree that covering only occupational HIV seems discriminatory. Contact the insure directly (and anonymously) to find out more specifics on the coverage. Possibly they were just using this as a example and all HIV-related critical illnesses would have coverage.

Previous
Can someone with HIV be a massage therapist in TN
Next
LTD Terminated, How To Appeal

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.