New Job and Benefits

Your forum has always proved helpful to me, thanks for the information you provide. After being considered disabled for three years, recently I decided to try going back to work. I was hired by a company which offers group health to all its employees. I currently receive SS disability and Medicare parts A & B, and have discussed my options with both Medicare and Social Security, their help is confusing. My question is two fold. First, what do I do about my Medicare coverage. I filled out my employer health plan forms and it will be effective in 30 days. Should I cancel my Medicare part B? Will they cancel it after my trial work period has expired? Second question is about ADAP. I currently receive my drugs through ADAP, but will be eligible for my company's drug plan. Should I notify ADAP that I no longer need their assistnace? This going back to work thing is scary enough, but with such vague information from both Medicare and Social Security, it is even more daunting. Your help would be appreciated.

Response from Mr. Berg

You can keep your Medicare for a while even after your trial work period has ended and they terminate monthly SSDI benefits. I believe it can stay in force for up to a maximum of 7 1/2 years from the beginning of the trial work date. During that time, it will act as a secondary payee. In all likelyhood, it won't pay for the difference between what your group coverage pays and the remaining balance. In other words, you won't have 100% payment coverage.

Under federal law, your group coverage can't keep you off their prescription plan. ADAP may be able to pay your group prescription copays if your income is within their limits. Please contact them directly.

ERISA benifits
Food Stamps