Snubbed by long term

I have great Insurance coverage with my company, "medical,dental,vision." However, i applied for Long term disability and was denied because of Hiv disclousure. Can i get Long term coverage somewhere else? I live in Ohio, and earn over $60,000 yr. Thank you in advance

Response from Ms. Franzoi

It is difficult to purchase an individual disability policy for someone who is HIV+. From your question, it sounds like you did not elect LTD coverage when you were first hired and applied for it at a later date. Is that correct? If so, your only option to get it through your current employer would be if he were to offer an open enrollment similar to what is available during the first 30 days after hire. If you were to change jobs and your new employer offered LTD coverage as long as you signed up during the initial enrollment period you would not have a problem. I know this doesn't help you now but could in the future if you were to change jobs.

boyfriend leaving with health insurance
LTD after heart attack