For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

boyfriend leaving with health insurance

My boyfriend of over 25 years is thinking of breaking things off. I am on his insurance and he told me he will cancel me should we break up. I take Atripla. I am not working.

What in the world can I do should this happen? He is basically writing my "death sentence" should health coverage stop. Please advise. Is there any health insurance that I can obtain?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You might be able to continue COBRA-like coverage under your boyfriend's plan. A few companies offer this. Another option would be to check into programs offered in your state through Medicaid. If you can afford it, you would qualify for a HIPAA policy as long as you don't have a break in coverage of 63 days or more.

Moving to Florida changing Insurance
Snubbed by long term