Moving to the US with HIV+ Spouse

I am a 34 year old that is looking at taking a position in New York as the opportunities in my field are non existent in Canada. The dilemma lies in the fact that in Canada my partner who is 50 and HIV+ has all prescription and medical costs covered by our socialist healthcare system ; ) Unfortunately in order to maintain that coverage he you have to reside in our province in Canada for 153 day out of every Calendar year. The company I join may or may not provide health benefits as part of their package. What other options would be open to me aside from keeping residents in two countries and living apart from my husband for 5 months a year. Is there private insurers in New York that will not exclude previous conditions. I am really lost and appreciate any information you can provide.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Most mid-sized and large US employers offer healthcare coverage. As you are looking at job opportunities in the US, you should be discussing the benefits offered by an employer, including healthcare. Hopefully, your prospective employer will offer you coverage. If not, I am not sure what would be available to you if you have a pre-existing medical condition. I would suggest that you contact an insurance broker in the state in which you are looking to move to find out what might be available. I do not know if your coverage in Canada would be considered Creditable Coverage under HIPAA. If it were, then you would at least be able to purchase a HIPAA policy. An insurance agent might be able to answer this. Blue Cross and Blue Shield are two insurers who offer coverage throughout the US on an individual basis.

US Chamber of Commerce's Stance on the Repeal of Healthcare Reform
LIfe Insurance to protect me if HIV Partner dies