your response

to to this mans question(My Boyfriend and i was just diagnosed with HIV/AIDS a few months ago. Luckly me, i have health insurance, and it is covering a good portion of my billing. My Boyfriend however , has none. Do you think it would be hard for him to Now get Health insurance now that he has HIV?) was minimal, seems flippant and poorly researched on the face of it. any one of us could come up with that. how about something like Ryan white or medicare for example. sorry it seemed like you were not being sensitive to his question.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If your boyfriend is considered disabled due to his HIV status and is eligible for Social Security disability benefits, then he would qualify for Medicare after he has been on SSDI for 29 months. However,, if he hasn't he would not be eligible for Medicare. Depending on his financial situation, he might qualify for Medicaid. He should check with local agencies. If he is in Southern California, AIDS Project LA would be a good resource for him. However, I am assuming that he lives elsewhere. if that is the case, I suggest he look for local agencies that assist people with health issues to obtain insurance. Often local insurance brokers can be helpful.

Social and economic impact of HIV?
Privacy limitations with self insured companies