Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

your response
Feb 14, 2011

to to this mans question(My Boyfriend and i was just diagnosed with HIV/AIDS a few months ago. Luckly me, i have health insurance, and it is covering a good portion of my billing. My Boyfriend however , has none. Do you think it would be hard for him to Now get Health insurance now that he has HIV?) was minimal, seems flippant and poorly researched on the face of it. any one of us could come up with that. how about something like Ryan white or medicare for example. sorry it seemed like you were not being sensitive to his question.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If your boyfriend is considered disabled due to his HIV status and is eligible for Social Security disability benefits, then he would qualify for Medicare after he has been on SSDI for 29 months. However,, if he hasn't he would not be eligible for Medicare. Depending on his financial situation, he might qualify for Medicaid. He should check with local agencies. If he is in Southern California, AIDS Project LA would be a good resource for him. However, I am assuming that he lives elsewhere. if that is the case, I suggest he look for local agencies that assist people with health issues to obtain insurance. Often local insurance brokers can be helpful.

Previous
Social and economic impact of HIV?
Next
Privacy limitations with self insured companies

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.