Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

SSDI / Medicare / Inheritance
Feb 13, 2011

I have been positive for 19 years and have been non detectable for the last 4. I work 16 hours a week. I am not able to return to full time work due to a birth defect. I will receive a decent inheritance when my mother passes. I don't want this to happen, but I know eventually it will. I don't know what this will do to my SSDI or Medicare. I would exhaust the inherited money in 5 or 6 years if I lost my Medicare and had to pay for the drugs myself. Is this what will happen, or does Medicare only count working income? I don't know who else to ask and don't even like to think about it, but I need to have some type of plan in place when it does happen. Thank you for this forum, it has answered a huge amount of questions for me just reading every issue.

Response from Mr. Van Essen

There are no assets limits or unearned income restrictions imposed upon individuals receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). According to SSDI, your inheritance will be considered an asset and therefore will have no impact upon your SSDI payments. It could possibly, however, require a higher Medicare Part B premium. Medicare Part B premiums are based on the beneficiary's income. Go to Medicare and You Page 131 for a list of Medicare B Premim payments.

Earned income -- money that you receive for your 16 hours a week employment -- could affect your SSDI payment if your monthly gross earned income exceeds $720 per month. If you are unaware of these work incentive rules go to The Redbook. Read about the Trial Work Period and Extended Period of Eligiblity. I hope this helps.

Previous
HIV and sebum
Next
disability

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.