Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIPPA Violation
Nov 13, 2010

I am currently a temporary worker in a human resources department at an company with about 100 employees. The company is going out for bid for group coverage for 2011. The two new potential insurance company's requested a list of all current employees, their names, conditions and medications. I was under the impression that the current insurance company forwarded this information directly to the new insurance company so a lucrative quote can be submitted to the employer. However, that is not what happened. The existing insurance company in an envelope marked confidential and addressed to the HR director's attention had all the above information in it. I was asked ( by my manager ) to forwarded this information to the new insurance company's and told not to read it as it was personal medical information of their employees. I did not read it and forwarded to all the companies that were listed. Are insurance company's legally allowed to do this? I thought conditions/medications were private and were not allowed to be given to employers? I am hoping that this was an honest mistake and not actually legal as this could cause problems. Are you familiar with such a bizarre practice? I am worried because of my own situation. Thankfully, I am on another policy through my partner who works for a large company.

Thanks and great website.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Anyone in HR is bound by confidentiality laws. Therefore, they cannot use the information in any health-related information they receive in any way that impacts the employee's employment.

Previous
Health Insurance
Next
Lossing Insurancecoverage soon

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.