Sort Term Disability

Hello Dr. I moved to US 3 years ago. My company transferred me and one of the benefits was my SHort Term Disability program That I could apply for after 6 month working within the company. After 6 month and 2 weeks I did apply to get approved my STD, but never got back from the insurance company. 5 month after my aplication was filled out I found out I was HIV+ and soon after the Insurance rejected my application to my short term disability...Is that correct? even when the benefit clearly stated that I am elegibly right after the 6th month? Should I contact an lawyer to fight this?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Is this a group policy? If so, I would contact your Benefits Department to find out why you were denied coverage. If you applied when first eligible and it is a group STD policy, you should have been covered. However, if you did not apply when first eligible, they could deny you coverage.

Individual Health Insurance Policies
Health Insurance while on Temporary Disability