Individual Health Insurance Policies

I'm HIV postive and have had group health coverage since I was in my 20's (I"m) now 45. I've been presented with an opportunity to join a start-up which could turn out to be very lucrative. They don't offer group insurance yet, but they reimburse you a certain amount each month toward an individual plan. Are there certain Insurace Brokers that are sensitive to our issues that I can go through? I know it's going to be expensive, but I make a good salary and can probably cover it. I'm not sure what to do. I've tried going through the State High Risk pool, but they won't take you unless you've been uninsured for six months which wouldn't work for me. What advice can you offer. Do the big plans offer anything for HIV + people? Thanks.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

The best way to approach this would be to contact an insurance broker in your area to determine what is available to you. However, initially, you should take COBRA coverage for the 18 months allowable after you leave your current job. Then at the end of the 18 months, you would always be eligible for a HIPAA policy.

Losing coverage and going on partners insurance
Sort Term Disability