Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Individual Health Insurance Policies
Nov 2, 2010

I'm HIV postive and have had group health coverage since I was in my 20's (I"m) now 45. I've been presented with an opportunity to join a start-up which could turn out to be very lucrative. They don't offer group insurance yet, but they reimburse you a certain amount each month toward an individual plan. Are there certain Insurace Brokers that are sensitive to our issues that I can go through? I know it's going to be expensive, but I make a good salary and can probably cover it. I'm not sure what to do. I've tried going through the State High Risk pool, but they won't take you unless you've been uninsured for six months which wouldn't work for me. What advice can you offer. Do the big plans offer anything for HIV + people? Thanks.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

The best way to approach this would be to contact an insurance broker in your area to determine what is available to you. However, initially, you should take COBRA coverage for the 18 months allowable after you leave your current job. Then at the end of the 18 months, you would always be eligible for a HIPAA policy.

Previous
Losing coverage and going on partners insurance
Next
Sort Term Disability

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.