Losing coverage and going on partners insurance

I was recently laid off after 26 years, 5 months and 2 days at my job. I had insurance all those years. My severance allows me to keep my insurance until end of January, 2011, however I cannot afford my own coverage so I am going on my partners insurance which is very similiar. His open enrollment in November 1-22, 2010. I have to enroll now. His is a group health insurance policies. Am I correct that pre existing will not be a factor and as it is a domestic partner situation (male/male), are we going to be required to show proof? We have been together 19 years. We own property together but keep separate bank accounts? What do I need to consider? Thank you.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You are correct that any pre-existing condition clauses in your partners plan will not apply to you. So you should have your partner enroll you during open enrollment. The only cost will be the imputed income to your partner for the value of the coverage. This is taxable on the federal level but whether or not it is taxable for state purposes depends on the state.

appeal letter of reinstatement
Individual Health Insurance Policies