Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Stay on social security or try and work
May 11, 2010

I recently talked with my doctor about going back to work and what was going on with my HIV and why it got so bad for me while I read about others that dont seem to be so affected. I had an OI and was hospitalized and have cognitve issues due to HIV and menengitis. I have been on disability since March 07 and although its only been 3 years its been the longest 3 years of my life. My health is fine as far as my physical self, my teeth are breaking down but they were always pretty bad, now the HIV meds are making sure they become worse..anyway I had a VR counsellor from an employment agency call and they work with the ticket to work so I guess they have access to all my medical issues or whatever...She said that I had an amazing work history...not sure how she got that and wanted to know if I wanted to know if I was interested in working a stay at home job on my computer working as some kind of virtual call agent..not sure...anyway I feel I could do this and would like to give it a shot so given my cognitive issues Im wondering if this is worth my time as I feel this disease may just take me out or the least give me dementia which my dctors have said I may be showing signs of, thinking issues, memory issues. I realize that I deserve this because I worked for so long and got sick but I feel worthless collecting a check everymonth after having a career as a journeyman electrician. My family is supportive but outright annoying, my wifes parents act like an illness is a cold and u just get over it..How can I tell them without wanting to beat them over the head with a hammer because they piss me off with their physco babble that hiv is a different animal. I get sick of the "Good Morning Dave! attitude from some cheesy lady walking around my house when she vists. sorry....venting

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I am sorry that you are experiencing difficulty with others understanding the nature of your illness. I am sure that is very frustrating. Under Social Security Disability (SSD), there is a Trial Work Program that would allow you to continue on SSD while trying to go back to work. You should contact your local Social Security Administration Office to discuss how this would work for you. Your VR counselor might be able to assist you with this.

Previous
Short Term Disability
Next
individual insurance coverage

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.