Tax and health question

I have a Health Savings Account in which I deposit money on a pre-tax basis and I can use to get reimbursements on medical, drug and prescription copayments, among other things. I went ahead and looked for all the possible things that I can potentially use this for and gym memberships was one. The stipulation there is that "Fees paid for a gym membership may be an eligible expense if prescribed by a physician and substantiated by his or her statement that treatment is necessary to alleviate a medical problem. You cannot be reimbursed for expenses that will be incurred in the future, even if the provider requires payment in advance for the entire period. You can provide a receipt for the entire period and several receipts incrementally that detail the dates of service, provider name and cost after the date of service that corresponds to each time increment." What is your experience with the potential of making this a qualified reimbursable expense under an HIV positive diagnosis? Is this too far reaching?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

It depends on what the doctor writes in his Rx for the "treatment" at the gym. I know it works if someone is taking a private pilates class at a facility to treat a disorder such as a frozen shoulder. You should get the Rx from your physician and run it by your health plan HSA administtrator.

Upgrade to insurance possible?
life insurance policy