The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Tax and health question
Apr 26, 2010

I have a Health Savings Account in which I deposit money on a pre-tax basis and I can use to get reimbursements on medical, drug and prescription copayments, among other things. I went ahead and looked for all the possible things that I can potentially use this for and gym memberships was one. The stipulation there is that "Fees paid for a gym membership may be an eligible expense if prescribed by a physician and substantiated by his or her statement that treatment is necessary to alleviate a medical problem. You cannot be reimbursed for expenses that will be incurred in the future, even if the provider requires payment in advance for the entire period. You can provide a receipt for the entire period and several receipts incrementally that detail the dates of service, provider name and cost after the date of service that corresponds to each time increment." What is your experience with the potential of making this a qualified reimbursable expense under an HIV positive diagnosis? Is this too far reaching?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

It depends on what the doctor writes in his Rx for the "treatment" at the gym. I know it works if someone is taking a private pilates class at a facility to treat a disorder such as a frozen shoulder. You should get the Rx from your physician and run it by your health plan HSA administtrator.

Upgrade to insurance possible?
life insurance policy

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint