Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Finding HIPAA polcies.
Apr 23, 2010

How does one find a HIPAA policy once one's COBRA extension expires? I understand the basic premise that one can use COBRA and or equivalent extension of a Health Insurance policy when leaving an employer, and I understand that at the end of the COBRA or other extension program a person may apply for a individual health insurance policy pursuant to HIPAA, so long as there is a gap no greater than 63 days from the end of the COBRA or equivalent extension. In my case, I am a university graduate student, I will be leaving my program but have not yet found future employment. I am eligible to extend my student health insurance for up to 12 months after I leave my program (this is in lieu of COBRA). At the end of that twelve month extension, how do I then find a personal HIPAA policy? What sort of resources are available to me as an individual? Would one use brokers or social workers or state government websites to help find these policies? Would one have to contact individual HMO's to learn their policy options?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Any isnurance company that sells individual policies will have a HIPAA policy. Check with BlueCross or BlueShield. An insurance broker could help you.

Previous
Just switched jobs.
Next
Balance of loan

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.