Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible exposure! Work related - please answer
Apr 15, 2010

Hey Doc, I have a serious question for you, and I m sure you get this all the time, but I m freaking over here. I work for a fresh produce factory in South Africa and are one of the trained first aiders, this morning we had an individual who put his arm into a moving conveyer machinery, so this means the poor man s arm was torn open and had a gaping wound, before they came to call me, he put the whole of his arm under cold water with a little extra dose of chlorine, so when I did get to him there were not much blood hardly any, so with my gloved hands on I pressed down on the wound & bandaged it, but as I was bandaging his arm, my exposed arm touched his pinkie, which had blood mixed with water on it, it was literally just a drop I kept my eye on it as I continued to bandage his arm, now I have no broken skin there, but I do have a mosquito bite and an ingrown hair follicle close to it, but I rushed up to my office and sprayed my arm with hand sanitizer, do you think I have any reason to be going nuts right now, the persons HIV status is unknown, but I know South Africa has one of the highest rates of HIV infections compared to other countries.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent and yep, I get these types of questions "all the time." Check out the archives and you'll find lots and lots (and lots!)!

Dr. Bob

Previous
is this gonorrhea
Next
insurance in india

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.