Can department of health & human services harrass me for medical information?

My bf was tested HIV positive, I was HIV negative and one day I got several calls from someone from the Department of Health & Human services and they threatened to go to my workplace and home for a visit. Can they do that and do i have to tell them anything?

Response from Ms. Breuer

You don't mention what state you live in. Some states (such as New York) do follow up with the partners of anyone who tests positive. Their visit does not represent a threat; they're trying to make sure that you protect yourself and that you get tested. It's an approach to stopping the spread of HIV.

I think you're being contacted by your public health department, which is the local branch of the national public health system. I doubt that they're trying to collect information. If they are, it would be partners who they could also advise to get tested. They do not share your name or status with any national data-collecting agency.

HIV Disclosure Without My Permission
Employer Finding Out You're HIV+