Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Insurance Company coming to my home under false pretenses
Apr 7, 2010

I have been receiving LTD disability for two years from both Social Security and Cigna Insurance. I received a letter this week from Cigna that they have done an investigation and have found me no longer disabled. I am HIV postive for over twenty years, taken every drug for HIV, have diabetes, Anxiety/Depression, as well as Irritable bowel syndrome. The HIV drugs have been hard on my over the years and caused bone problems as well as metabolic disorders. My doctors as well as the IME doctor for Cigna have found me totally disabled. Cigna I found out had sent an "agent" to my home to purchase a photo of mine under false pretenses. I have a website where I put my photos that I take as a hobby. They contacted me and I have several emails from this "agent" stating that he wants to buy a photo for his wife etc. etc. It is the first photo and only photo I have sold on my website for $100.00. They also put me under surveillance for six days and in their report they said I was seen "walking, conversing with people and dining in restaurants and had a lucrative business selling photos. With my hobby, I have made a total of $186.00 which includes $100 for the one the Cigna agent bought. Of course I am going to appeal, but I want to know what I can do legally about them accessing my home under false pretenses. Even the police can't do that!! Any help would be appreciated.

Response from Ms. Breuer

You need legal counsel. Please contact the legal advisor associated with your local AIDS service center. Cigna's behavior is not uncommon, unfortunately. That's why health insurance reform was so necessary.

Previous
Travelling to China
Next
i was drug tested yesterday and I am HIV +

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.