Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV antivirals and Medicare Drug Plan
Apr 7, 2010

I am HIV positive and currently receiving SSDI benefits, and have been working through Social Security's "Return to Work" program for the past few years. However, my current position ends in May 2010 and so does the insurance provided through that job. I know that I still have Medicare benefits, but I have never used Medicare benefits to pay for my antivirals, or any drugs for that matter. As a result, I never signed up for a Medicare Drug Plan. My main concerns are that I cannot sign up for a drug plan until November, which is much too late, and that the deductible for the drugs, depending on the plan I chose, will be more than I can afford. What advice can you offer about how I should proceed in this matter?

Response from Ms. Breuer

While you are in this window, you might qualify for your prescription drug manufacturer's patient assistance program. If you go to the website for your medication, you should be directed to information on applying for patient assistance. If you can't find it, ask your physician's office for contact information for someone who calls on them for that drug company, and call that person. At the same time, contact your nearest AIDS service organization and ask about short-term use of your state's ADAP (AIDS Drug Assistance Program). Those are two ways you can bridge the gap.

Previous
Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Next
Travelling to China

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.