HIV antivirals and Medicare Drug Plan

I am HIV positive and currently receiving SSDI benefits, and have been working through Social Security's "Return to Work" program for the past few years. However, my current position ends in May 2010 and so does the insurance provided through that job. I know that I still have Medicare benefits, but I have never used Medicare benefits to pay for my antivirals, or any drugs for that matter. As a result, I never signed up for a Medicare Drug Plan. My main concerns are that I cannot sign up for a drug plan until November, which is much too late, and that the deductible for the drugs, depending on the plan I chose, will be more than I can afford. What advice can you offer about how I should proceed in this matter?

Response from Ms. Breuer

While you are in this window, you might qualify for your prescription drug manufacturer's patient assistance program. If you go to the website for your medication, you should be directed to information on applying for patient assistance. If you can't find it, ask your physician's office for contact information for someone who calls on them for that drug company, and call that person. At the same time, contact your nearest AIDS service organization and ask about short-term use of your state's ADAP (AIDS Drug Assistance Program). Those are two ways you can bridge the gap.

Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Travelling to China