Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Still up to date? Guilt and anxiety for taking son to get haircut is killing me!
Apr 7, 2010

Dear Ms. Breuer,

My 4 year son was nicked or "pinched" by an electric hair clippers/trimmers last month and I have worried about it ever since. When we got to the haircut place (fun kid place where they get to watch videos while they get their haircut) I believe we were the only clients there although the hairdresser said they had been busy that day. Anyway...I asked the hairdresser if they sterilize the clippers and she sprayed them with something and continued cutting my son's hair. When she got the trimmers out she didn't spray those. It was the very end of the cut. Probably 10-15 minutes later. Anyway...after the haircut I checked my son for any nicks or scrapes. I saw two small red dots/scratches on the back of his neck. He thinks the trimmers tickle and he tenses up a bit. Anyway...the nicks were small (size of a pin head or so) but they were there. I know most moms probably don't even check for things like this.

I guess my hope is that your Q and A from 2001 is still up to date? If you could please confirm that you would make this mother's year!!!! Thank you so much!!!

Here is the post I am referring to...

"electric hair clippers Sep 30, 2001 dear nancy

can you please tell me if it is very dangerous to have been cut with a pair of electric hair clippers at the hairdressers that I know do not get sterilised from person to person. my son was nicked and I have worried myself sick since. regards

worried mum

Response from Ms. Breuer

First, if the hairdresser doesn't sterilize equipment, you might consider finding another hairdresser. No one is going to acquire HIV from electric hairclippers, but there are other conditions your son could acquire from unsterilized clippers that nick him.

HIV in dried blood on hairclippers is not going to be infectious. But hepatitis B in dried blood on hairclippers could be in the situation you describe. I'd say it's worth traveling a little further to find a more conscientious barber.

Please put yourself at ease about the HIV question. Not a risk."

Response from Ms. Breuer

Yes, that answer is still valid. Thank you for doing some research before asking your question.

Please ease your anxiety. And yes, I would still seek a more conscientious barber/hairdresser. But any risk to your son from what you describe approaches zero.

Breathe!

Previous
ADAP and citizenship
Next
insurance and docter

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.