HEALTHCARE

I'm getting laid off and losing my insurance the same day,that is April,1st 2010.I've been on atripla which has been working very well and all of a sudden I'm in a dilemma as to where to get care.A call to an insurance company with a a pre existing condition didn't go well. Any places you know of where I can get care?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you are being laid off and your company offers a group health plan, you should be eligible for COBRA and depending on the date of your lay-off, the federal COBRA subsidy.

If your company is not large enough to be required to offer COBRA, you would be eligible for a HIPAA policy from any insurance company that offers individuals polices as long as you don't have a break in coverage of more than 63 days. A HIPAA policy will recognoize your period of coverage under your prior plan towards any pre-existing condition exclusion period it has and that period cannot be greater than 12 months.

new employer / DC Health Alliance
Regarding insurance disclosure