Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HEALTHCARE
Apr 1, 2010

I'm getting laid off and losing my insurance the same day,that is April,1st 2010.I've been on atripla which has been working very well and all of a sudden I'm in a dilemma as to where to get care.A call to an insurance company with a a pre existing condition didn't go well. Any places you know of where I can get care?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you are being laid off and your company offers a group health plan, you should be eligible for COBRA and depending on the date of your lay-off, the federal COBRA subsidy.

If your company is not large enough to be required to offer COBRA, you would be eligible for a HIPAA policy from any insurance company that offers individuals polices as long as you don't have a break in coverage of more than 63 days. A HIPAA policy will recognoize your period of coverage under your prior plan towards any pre-existing condition exclusion period it has and that period cannot be greater than 12 months.

Previous
new employer / DC Health Alliance
Next
Regarding insurance disclosure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.