The cost of meds and insurance

My partner is HIV positive and currently receives meds through a government program that covers all his costs. I added him to my insurance plan and now we are receiving bills for our portion of his Dr. check ups which is fine but I am concerned because we cannot afford 20% of his meds as well. We are going to discuss this with his counselor but I want to know: If they determine that they will bill us 20% of med costs (as per my coverage plan), and we decide that we have to drop him from the insurance coverage, can he just go back to the government program he was on before? In essence, is he still eligible to have his costs covered or did I mess everything up by adding him to my insurance plan?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I do not know how the government program works. I suggest you contact a local legal aid or AIDS group to get information on this.

Term Life insurance
Unemployment/Previous Medical Condition