HIV and Insurance

I have a company medical insurance policy. If I seek treatment for HIV from doctors, will this show up on my records? In other words, will my boss know that I am getting treatment for HIV? Will my company insurance company report that detail?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

That information is confidential and it would be illegal for your health plan to share that with your employer except as needed in the administration of the plan. If the plan is sel-insured, there is the possibility that the employer could see this information. However,it is typically disclosed without identifying the employees, i.e., most insurance comapnies and administrators de-identify the information.

Cobra insurance
company changing health insurance plan that denies coverage to HIV people