Mini-Cobra

I was laid-off from work October 2,2009. I did everything I could to get Covered under my former Employers Insurance with the Mini-Cobra. But then the Insurance Company said it didn't recieve the proper paper work from my Former Employer and raised the cost of coverage. I paid them $525.28 and after they got that they said it would be applied to the $773.66 I still owed for a total of $1298.66 a month. I was paying about $231.00 which is half, my former Employer paid the other half. Why did it go up so much? I wrote the Insurance company to cancell the policy because I can't afford that much money. I thought mini-Cobra was to make Insurance affordable. I'm also wonder about the ARRA, Why wasn't that put in place to save me an additional 65%? is there a form my former Employer is to file?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

State COBRA extension of coverage, often referred to as Mini-Cobra, provides for extension of coverage to employees who are employed by companies with fewer than 20 workers. Coverage under the state continuation programs (Mini-Cobra) can differ in duration, restrictions and eligiblity for coverage from coverage that is provided under the federal COBRA law. Mini-CBRA also can vary from state to state. Since you state that your employer extended coverage through Minni-Cobra, I am assuming that your employer has fewer than 20 employees and therefore is not subject to the federal COBRA law, only the state law. Unfortunately, ARRA which provides for a 65% subsidy for employees who are laid off from September 1, 2008 through December 31, 2009 does not apply to the state Mini-Cobra laws.

How will Medicare and Health Care Reform effect HIV + people
Medicare coverage for under 42 years old