Graduate Entering the Workplace

I graduated college in May and found out I was Positive. I am currently on no medications, but do see a doctor for labs and such. This is covered by my current insurance through my parents which expires at the end of March 2010.

I am currently unemployed and am seeking a job but somewhat concerned because of the lack of positions open in my field of study and wonder when I am going to need to apply to Starbucks or Home Depot which offers general insurance for employees to keep coverage. The other option is to pay the COBRA fees for my parents insurance ($800 a month) or just rely on Ryan White.

I noticed there is a preexisting clause that applies when transitioning between a job for 60-ish days, and wondered if it also applies when switching from parents insurance? I am somewhat confused and wonder what the best option is.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you were to remain covered under your parent's plan as either a dependent or as a COBRA participant and the time between when that coverage ends and your new coverage begins is less than 63 days, even if the new plan has a pre-existing condition exclusion, which cannot be greater than 12 months, the plan would have to recognize your prior period of coverage towards that pre-existing condition period. So it wouldn't apply to you because you had been covered under your prior plan for more than 12 months and had not had a break in coverage of 63 days or more.

health insurance cancellation (company sold)
Highmark PPO Blue