Insurance and my family owned business.

I'm considering moving back to TN to work with my family-owned business. I haven't disclosed my HIV+ status to my family and do not want to do so yet. Assuming I move forward with my plans and sign up for the group health insurance plan that is available to employees, should I be concerned with my family finding out my status through the insurance company? Would they be able to see the costs associated with my health care?? Thanks for your assistance!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

It depends on the health plan that is offered to your family's employees. If it is an insured plan, there should not be any employee-specific information shared. Even if it is self-insured, there should not be any sharing of employee-specific information. However, on both insured and self-insured plans that are individually related, there are typically reports that show dollars spent by disease category and prescription drugs. For example, in my health plans, I know what we spend for different medications that are used by HIV+ participants as well as dollars spent for physicians, hospital,s etc. for HIV-rleated treatment. I do not know who the participants are. I track the same medical information for diabetes, heart disease, maternity, etc.

Just diagnised and applying for persanal Health Insurance
EOB Privacy