Terminated when began LTD

My DX is Major Depressive Disorder, Complex PTSD, Panic Disorders. I have been off work on STD for 6months and I am still needing intensive TX- I have been approved for LTD for 2 yrs- I found out that I have been termed and my medical insurance is no more- Live in at will state- I can't afford Cobra- Can it be done and how difficult is it to apply for SSDI and medicare as the LTD vendor has suggested? And can they come at anytime and rescind the LTD coverage?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Many companies have their benefit programs set up so that medical coverage ends when employment ends. So an emplopyee who is considered terminated once his LTD benefits commence would not be eligible for continued coverage under the health plan unless he elects COBRA. If you apply for SSDI (go to your local Social Security Administration office to apply), you won't be eligbilbe for Medicare until you have been receivng SSDI for 29 months. Your LTD benefit should continue for up to 2 years, provided you continue to be determined to be disabled due to your mental illness.

can I collect cobra insurance
Still confused about "pre-existing"