The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Employer targeting me for HIV
Oct 20, 2008

My employer switched benefit plans 3 years ago and became self insured. After the first year, the personnel director advised that they were hiring a third party benefit administrator "because she knows way more than she should know about us". Since we went to self-insurance I have been worried my employer knows my status and that my medications are costing $30,000 plus per year. Recently, the employer realized that a claim was paid for my ex-wife a few months after our divorce - which occurred over 3 years ago. They are accusing me of insurance fraud and threatening to fire me and have referred it to the DA. However, I contend the change was reported by my assistant and she backs me up, everyone in the company practically knew about the divorce, and my ex-wife has her own insurance plan and insists she provided her information to her doctor, but the doctor submitted to the wrong insurance company. The insurance adminstrator recently sent a claim form to my ex-wife, divulging a non-hiv claim, 5 years after I separated from her, 3 years after our divorce and at least 4 years after they were provided my correct address, which until now they have always gotten correct. So I believe they have violated HIPAA also. I am convinced this is just a conspiracy to separate me because I am HIV and/or costing the self insurance fund over $30,000 per year. What can I do? Should I hire an attorney? Is there a public law firm that would consider such a case? JC

Response from Ms. Franzoi

The best thing to do would be to contact an attorney to discuss the situation and seek advice.

job discontinuance

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint