HIV and Disability

After a very long a protracted disability case involving my state employment benefits I was finally granted full disability benefits in June of 2008 subject to periodic review. When the agenda of the meeting was posted the following month and sent to literally dozens of individuals and organizations through out state and local government it was stated on the post that I was awarded benefits based on having HIV. My legal advocate feels this was a retaliation for my winning the case and has told the agency as much. They claim it is a matter of public record. I feel they are in violation of the HIPPA Laws regarding patient privacy. Any comment or input is greatly appreciated.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I agree that posting the reason could be considered a HIPAA violation. I'd contact an attorney or a legal aid organization in your area to determine what recourse you might have.

MEDICAL INSURANCE
LTD