Self Employed Coverage

I am currently employed and stay employed at a job I love. I have been diagnosed positive and on a 3 drug regiment since the beginning of 07. I always wonder what may happen if I should want to further my career and leave my job to work for myself. How could I possibly get coverage and aren't the costs extreme? My work has already switched our coverage once and it was an ordeal trying to figure out if my regiment was covered and the costs. I do not plan on leaving but want to know what options someone like myself would have?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Initially, you would be eligible for COBRA (assumes your employer has at least 25 employees). At the end of COBRA, you would be able to get a HIPAA p0olicy.

Using Job Ins.
Mortgage Disability Insurance