Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Using Job Ins.
Sep 17, 2008

I emailed you in the past months ?ing usage of my employers insurance & you said I need to use it. Although my employer don't know my status. Is it possible for them to find out my HIV+ status? How are most things coded when filed on insurance? I work for my state. What company provides the HIPPA policy?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Is your employer's health plan insured or self-insured? If it is insured, the employer doesn't see claims specific to an individual. Even if it is self-insured and the employer might have access to the information (if needed in the administration of the plan), most employers prefer not to see this information by individual but rather look at their claims costs by disease states and or specific prescritipons costs. For example, what most employers find is that their highest cost drug and most utilized drug is Lipitor (cholesterol drug).

Previous
Certificate of Insurability
Next
Self Employed Coverage

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.