Using Job Ins.

I emailed you in the past months ?ing usage of my employers insurance & you said I need to use it. Although my employer don't know my status. Is it possible for them to find out my HIV+ status? How are most things coded when filed on insurance? I work for my state. What company provides the HIPPA policy?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Is your employer's health plan insured or self-insured? If it is insured, the employer doesn't see claims specific to an individual. Even if it is self-insured and the employer might have access to the information (if needed in the administration of the plan), most employers prefer not to see this information by individual but rather look at their claims costs by disease states and or specific prescritipons costs. For example, what most employers find is that their highest cost drug and most utilized drug is Lipitor (cholesterol drug).

Certificate of Insurability
Self Employed Coverage