New Job Insurance Questions

I am starting a new job at a university in Missouri in one month. I have read that if I have had medical insurance - which I have had for years - that they cannot impose a waiting period on pre-existing conditions. Is that accurate? I have been hiv+ for two years, but am not on any type of medications. However, there's a chance I could need to start in the next year. Would my coverage at the University begin immediately for that condition? Is it okay for me to keep my current health insurance as a "backup" in case the job doesn't work out? I use Blue Cross Blue Shield from a neighboring state. The premium is fairly low, but I know that if I cancel the insurance it would be difficult to get private insurance back should I lose my job. My other question. Is there anything I should or shouldn't do when I am doing the insurance orientation for the new job? Thanks very much!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

When you take your new job, as long as you enroll during your initial enrollment period, even if you have a pre-existng condition, the plan will have to recognize your prior period of coverage towards any pre-existng condtion clause (called Creditable Coverage). If you elect COBRA coverage from your current employer, it wil cease once you become covered under your new employer's plan, unless the new plan has a plan limitation with respect to your pre-existing condition.

Thinking it's time to go on disability
New insurance policy prior to disclosing HIV+