Health Insurance - relocating to Illinois

I am currently an indepentant contractor (realtor) living in Hawaii and my health insurance benefits are provided through my domestic partner's employer, United Airlines. He was transfered to Illinois a few months ago and I am planning to join him and look for employment in Chicago. Today it was announced that his job may be eliminated at United Airlines. My question is if I relocate to Illinois and find employment with a company offering a group plan would I have pre-existing condition issues to deal with? I am familiar with the laws in Hawaii, but unclear on other states like, Illinois?

Response from Ms. Breuer

If you join a group plan, you are highly unlikely to be asked about a "pre-existing condition," language that has been superceded by HIPAA. If you have insurance now, you can be insured seamlessly at a new job. Look up HIPAA on the Web and see how you can carry insurance over from one situation to another. (The "P" in HIPAA is for "portability." It's not a complete solution, but it's a real step forward.)

Can I work in the hosp. if i'm positive?
hiv+ nursing student