Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ and small company
Jun 8, 2008

I am working for a small company In the last month I had to see the doctor 2 next appt is next week. If I have to start meds what do I tell them if I have to miss work. I am the only admin for the whole company I don't get sick leave for another 3 weeks. Can they fire me if they do find out I am HIV poz.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Do not tell them your diagnosis.

That's my bias. Can you tell? Unless they're docs, there's nothing they can do about your diagnosis. They need to know about your performance, which is the only thing they should be managing.

Make a plan with your health care provider. Ask what side effects are likely and how to handle them. Some people don't have side effects, or have very manageable ones. If you do find yourself having to miss time at work, ask how (not if) you can make up that time. Be proactive. Let them know you like this job and want to keep it: don't wait for them to tell you that there's a problem.

Previous
Fear my job is in jeopardy / SHOULD i disclose?
Next
ARC?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.