Fear my job is in jeopardy / SHOULD i disclose?

I recently confided in my supervisor that I have "a significant medical condition." Two weeks later I was told that I need to find another location within the company due to the fact my positon was being eliminated. Someone told me that I should file a letter with my HR rep stating that I have a medical condition, etc etc. I was told this would make it more difficult to let me go. Is this true? (in the atlanta area i have six counterparts doing the same job and none of their positions are being eliminated, only mine). Thank you!

Response from Ms. Breuer

You would be wise to identify yourself as a person with a disability under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act. That means a letter notifying them that you live with a disability, but do not include your diagnosis. Let them know that you are not having difficulty doing your job and do not anticipate difficulty. j

If you need to request a reasonable accommodation, make that request, but only if you truly need it. Yes, you're smart to go on record as a person with a disability.

disclosure, legal or illegal
HIV+ and small company