Mo from Orlando, FL

My question is in regard to "creditable coverage." I currently have a HMO with my employer. My condition was not pre-existing at the time I was hired, which was 5 years ago. I was diagnosed HIV+ 2.5 years ago and have been on treatment ever since. I am planning on switching jobs very soon. Will my pre-existing condition be covered under a new health insurance policy, including medication coverage? Should be reluctant to change jobs due to my inability to receive insurance coverage for my pre-existing condition? I am really afraid. I will appreciate your guidance.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Our benefits guru is away right now, so I'll take a stab at this one.

As I understand Lynn Franzoi (the benefits guru), the language of "pre-existing condition" has gone the way of the carpet sweeper with HIPAA. You are insured now. You can make that insurance seamless at your new job if/when you get it by asking how to do that at their company. The P in HIPAA is "portability." This is what it means. If your new employer has different coverage, especially for meds, then you'll need to adapt to the new coverage, but you can be seamlessly insured.

blood
disclosure, legal or illegal