HIPAA

While I do not have HIV, I am terminal and was lead to this site by "Be Prepared" by David Landay. I hope you will consider my question.

I still work full time. My employeer knows of my rare disease as I go to MAYO often. I am at the point I need to go out on disability but after COBRA, I will only have HIPAA. If I stick it out at work for medical coverage, I risk loosing my employement and medical/disability retirement because the industry is loosing jobs by the thousands! Do I hang on as long as I can to group medical insurance and risk loosing disability retirement if I loose my job - or go out on disability, let COBRA runs its course and face my insurere of last resort - HIPAA?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

This is a decision that only you can make. However, if you were to go out on disability, you would be eligible for COBRA for 29 months (18 at 102% of the premium and 11 months at 150%) if you are determined to be disabled by the Social Security Administration. These 29 months would transition you to eligiblity for Medicare. I am assuming that because your illness is terminal that you will qualify for Social Security Disability.

Buying a business to get insurance
health insurance