long period of unemployment

in your opion what is the best way to answer what you may have been doing for the last fourteen years, I am on ssdi? Also I had been told that not to disclose is best however if you do not you are not covered against any discrimination that may occur. Is it also true that you can be asked for tax information and a credit report by a employer when applying for a job.

Response from Ms. Breuer

With an absence from the workplace that is that long, I think honesty (within bounds) is hte best policy. You could say that you were fighting a debilitating illness and you "won," in that you are now well enough to work. Then describe the skills you acquired in those 14 years, such as managing relationships with insurance companies or forms, or telephone skills. Be sure to focus your conversation on what you can do, not on what you cannot do.

Simply by talking about a debilitating or disabling illness, you put the employer on notice that you belong to a protected group. You do not have to identify the disability.

Tax information to an employer? Never. A credit report? They'll run one on you as a matter of course.

Insurance eligibility
Reasonable Accomodation