Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Short-Term Disability
Apr 23, 2008

I work for a company that allows me to work from home 3 days per week. However, I have recently had surgery on both my knees. They have allowed me to work 5 days a week from home due to these surgeries. However, they do allow other employees to work from home full-time so it is not something that is unusual. However, my doctor has indicated at my last visit that I could return going into work for 2 days next week, but I am still having a problem with my knees and the left one in particular. My doctor has told me that I need knee replacements but I cannot afford to be off without pay during the time it takes to reocver from knee replacements. My company has put me on FMLA (even though I am still working)simply in case I am short a few hours here and there and to keep my insurance benefits in effect. However, they do not offer sick time or short-term disability, just long-term disability. As I take public transportation to and from work which is a 4 hour commute via bus/train (2 hours each way) I will be doing a lot of walking, climbing stairs, etc. and my knees will not be able to handle this. The doctor's office told me about short-term disability through the government, but I searched the internet and could not find this. I only found this benefit for persons who were already out of work because of their disability when I have been working throughout mine but wouldnt be able to do so if I would get knee replacements. I have told my doctor that I cannot go into work 2 days and finish my physical therapy. He does not want to extend allowing me to work from home 2 days a week because he is afraid of his reputation according to his assistant. I don't know what to do. Can you help me?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Is there an HIV connection that I don't see? We have to confine ourselves to HIV-related questions because of the daunting volume we receive. I recommend contacting the Job Accommodation Network, which specializes in questions such as yours.

Previous
Becoming an Elementary Teacher
Next
Work Contract

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.