The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Feb 15, 2008

I have a COBRA policy through my exhusbands company (when we got divorced i went on cobra).

The company just hired administaff of Texas to handle their insurance policy. I was just told that my policy was cancelled for nonpayment, but I was never sent a bill for this? I have always paid my cobra payments 3 or 4 payments at a time (to stay up to date). Can they legally cancel me without mailing me a bill? I thought I was payed up. As well, I called their office several times in the past month to ask why my claims were being denied and they told me to call United Healthcare because they could not see why my claims were being denied. Meantime they NEVER told me in any of these calls that my premium had not been paid.

thank you.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Under COBRA, failure to pay your premium is a justifiable reason to terminate coverage and not extend reinstatemnt rights. You could file a formal appeal of the denial to reinstate your coverage, explaining the circumstances that you typically pay several months in advance and thought you were paid up, especially since you had not received a premium bill. However, the COBRA administrator could use in its defense the fact that you knew when payments were due (say the 1st of each month) and you had not made payment. I do think it would be advisiable to file an appeal.

Loss of Cobra
say the true?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint