Insurance Coverage of HIV Meds...

I am feeling jailed in a comapny that I no longer appreciate. I don't leave becuase it may take three months for insurance to kick-in to cover my prescriptions. Is there a way to cover the drug cost or have it subsidised during the interim of insurance to "co-cost" the expense? My total cost for two meds is $3000 per month before my co-pay. Secondly, can I be denied benefits due to have a pre-existing medical condiditon? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

When you leave the company, assuming your company has at least 20 employees who are eligible for health care benefits, you will be offered COBRA. COBRA is a continuation of the health plan your employer offers at 102% of the premium or cost. You can elect COBRA (for up to 18 months) and have COBRA coverage until your new plan becomes effective. Assuming you don't have a break in coverage of 63 days or more (includes COBRA), your new plan would have to recognize your periods of prior coverage towards any pre-existing exclusion period. A plan cannot impose a pre-exisitng exclusion period for greater than 12 months (18 months for late enrollees).

Individual Health Insurance in California
Pre-existing condition question