Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Individual Health Insurance in California
Feb 13, 2008

My ex-domestic partner is taking me off of his group health isurance effective immediately. I am not eligible for COBRA both because he did not lose his job and they do not offer domestic partner COBRA benefits. I am now applying for an individual health insurance policy. The application clearly states that California law prohibits an HIV test to be used as a condition of obtaining health insurance. Does this mean I do not have to tell them that I am positive? I did answer truthfully to all of the questions, such as "Has applicant taken any prescribed medications in the last 12 months?", but they don't ask which ones I take. Now there is a question that asks if I have a list of endocrine/metabolic problems including AIDS/ARC, immune disorders not including the result for an HIV test. I don't want to give too much information and be refused out of hand, but I also don't want them to cancel coverage at a later date and bill me for everything that they had paid out. Thank you so much for you help! This site is a wonderful resource!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You must answer the questions honestly. If you fail to do so, not only could coverage be cancelled at a later date but it could be cancelled retroactively and require repayment of claims paid. Since you have been diagnosed as HIV+ and there are most likely medical records that show this, it would be best to answer the question re immune disorders with a yes. Since you have been covered under a group plan, even if the insurer won't cover you under a standard policy, the insurer would have to allow you to purchase a HIPAA policy as long as you don't have a break in coverage of 63 days or more.

Previous
Which Insurance is best?
Next
Insurance Coverage of HIV Meds...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.