The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Working Visa and HIV
Jan 15, 2008

Hey Lynn, Thanks for your great work you've done here. This website has given me so much courage to fight against HIV.

My situation: I've been diagnosed HIV+ in March this year. In June I move to US since I got a job offer here. I need to have my routine check up again. Here are the things I would like to know:

1) For having doctor appointment, I need to give my SSN, will that be reported to US Gov and affect my working Visa since US has very strict HIV deportation policy. 2) Will this check up have a record in immigration since I need travel to overseas for work sometimes. 3) Any clinic to recommend around Boston Area?

Thanks Mark

Response from Ms. Breuer

Hi Mark,

Your SSN on a form at your doctor's office has to do with insurance. The fact that you're seeing a doctor, not your diagnosis itself, is the only information a government person could glean from your record at the clinic or office.

Overseas travel: You are at the mercy of the border policies of the countries you visit. Check with the US DEparment of State before planning travel to any other country. Some are as crazy as we are about HIV status.

In the Boston area there are several fine AIDS service organizations that would be the best sources of referrals to clinics. Boston is Healthcare Heaven. Great choice! Start with, the site of Boston's AIDS Action Committee, for good referrals.

PLase Help NYPD medical
Starting Treatment - How to handle working ?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint