Working Visa and HIV

Hey Lynn, Thanks for your great work you've done here. This website has given me so much courage to fight against HIV.

My situation: I've been diagnosed HIV+ in March this year. In June I move to US since I got a job offer here. I need to have my routine check up again. Here are the things I would like to know:

1) For having doctor appointment, I need to give my SSN, will that be reported to US Gov and affect my working Visa since US has very strict HIV deportation policy. 2) Will this check up have a record in immigration since I need travel to overseas for work sometimes. 3) Any clinic to recommend around Boston Area?

Thanks Mark

Response from Ms. Breuer

Hi Mark,

Your SSN on a form at your doctor's office has to do with insurance. The fact that you're seeing a doctor, not your diagnosis itself, is the only information a government person could glean from your record at the clinic or office.

Overseas travel: You are at the mercy of the border policies of the countries you visit. Check with the US DEparment of State before planning travel to any other country. Some are as crazy as we are about HIV status.

In the Boston area there are several fine AIDS service organizations that would be the best sources of referrals to clinics. Boston is Healthcare Heaven. Great choice! Start with www.aac.org, the site of Boston's AIDS Action Committee, for good referrals.

PLase Help NYPD medical
Starting Treatment - How to handle working ?