Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pre-Existing for Health Insurance?
Nov 28, 2007

Hi, Doctor thanks for the help!

Does going to the Doctor for Acne, and an Ear Infection count as a pre-existing condition for HIV. Also went to the hospital for fatigue and insomnia all over 6 months ago. I currently have health insurance and am now applying for new coverage with Blue Cross, I haven't been tested for HIV - just told by Emergency room Doctors to follow up with Primary Physician because they felt I was overly stressed. If I test HIV+ the month after my new policy become effective, can they deny me coverage?

I have delayed getting tested because I wanted a policy with no deductible and prescription coverage. Just in case my HIV fears are correct.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Pre-existing condition clauses limit benefits for conditions that a participant was treated for (took medication for, sought treatment for, etc.) during a period of time, typically 90 days, prior to coverage commencing. Acne and and an ear infection do not sound like HIV-related symptoms. Therefore, even if you were determined later to be HIV+, there should not be a pre-existing condition limitation applied with respect to HIV-related illnesses unless there are tests or treatment protocols done that would lead the insurer to determine that you were HIV+ and were treated for HIV-related illnesses prior to coverage commencing.

Previous
staying on ssdi
Next
dealing wih fear and discrimination

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.