Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How to pay for Medication?
Oct 31, 2007

Hi, I have a similar question that was asked before in 2004. I am a HIV positive person and i do not qualify for ADAP, because I am married to a person that exceeds ADAP's financial limits and owns more that 1 property. I am currently taking medication that was taken care of ADAP before , but now i got rejected. I am trying to find out a way what to do to get help paying expensive medicine, as i cannot afford to pay out of pocket that much money. My employer does not provide any kind of insurance. I recently got a regular insurance at my husband's employer, but how will that work? how much do i have to pay out of my pocket, and if the regular insurance now paid by my husband's employer will be able to pay for this kind of Meds and doctor's visits? I also believe that that insurance is not aware of my condition. will they reject me once i will try to use them to cover my medicines? I don't know what to do, and also extremely worried that once i will want to use my insurance the employer of my husband will find out about my condition. What is the best way out? Sorry for that many questions but i need an answer to all of them ...

Response from Ms. Franzoi

It depends on the provisions in your husband's plan. Does it have a pre-existing condition clause? If so, you might not have coverage for AIDS-related illnesses for 12 months. Check your husband's plan to determine how it works. If not, all AIDS-related claims would be covered pursuant to the terms of the plan. I don't think you have to worry about discclosure of your status as the insurance plan must keep that information confidential. As far as other resources to cover the cost of meds, I am unaware of any.

Previous
moving and no health insurance
Next
COBRA Laws

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.